Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Aotearoa Trip


The visit to Aotearora (New Zealand) was more inspiring than I could have ever imagined. Our small delegation from the Evergreen Longhouse and Cultural Center was on the run for over a week, meeting notable Maori artists, community members, activists and art administrators that help to make a vibrant Maori Contemporary and Traditional Art practice possible. More on this later, just a short note to show that I've been too busy to post anything. I was invited by Tina Kuckkahn, the Director of the Longhouse, and we were joined by Dr. Les Purce, the President of Evergreen College and Melissa Bob, one of their Graduate students

I shot a lot of photographs on the trip, both film and digital. Dr. Purce shot a lot of really wonderful digital photographs, as did Melissa Bob and Tina Wirihana, one of the really masterful traditional and contemporary Maori weavers. We all shared our photographs, and when I get the time, I'll post some of the photographs here. More later.

No comments: