Thursday, September 3, 2009

Prelude; Winter in Juneau


The title to this print is "Prelude; Winter in Juneau," and is a companion print to the larger "Winter in Juneau" print.

Click on the image to make it larger so you can read it. The Eagle helmet is owned by Sealaska Corporation and was part of the annual report project we collaborated on in February. It was a fun challenge to write this artist's statement because I wanted to make it just as visual as it is conversational. I used some elements of an earlier draft and changed it a bit to make it flow more naturally.

It's kind of funny, but when I was working on the boat (Hey! That's what I did for years as a young man-- worked on a boat) with Photoshop the other night at nearly 4:00am, I fell asleep in the midst of it and am pretty sure I did a few edits while I was more asleep than awake. I remember waking up with my hands on the mouse, and the boat looked perfect, it had the precise mood I was looking for. I can do Photoshop in my sleep and don't know if that's good or bad.
Regardless, I like how it turned out and it is now hanging in the BSU Art Department's Visual Arts Center with the "Winter in Juneau" print for our 2009 Biennial Faculty exhibition. I made my print 44" x 60" to make raven feel heroic (as opposed to monumental).

I am in some pretty heavy duty company in the exhibition; I hope you're able to stop by and take a peek at the art. There are 25 of us and we work in a broad range of media. See you there!

No comments: